Welcome to Stuart Hoare Chartered Accountants...

Friendly, approachable and professional...

Upfront and transparent affordable fees...

Dedicated to helping you succeed...

Offering a free initial consultation...

Contact Us for your free initial consultation, to see how we can help with your accountancy needs.

Annual tax on enveloped dwellings

by | Aug 28, 2018 | Tax | 0 comments

This tax, known as ATED, applies to residential properties owned by companies. It only came into effect on 1 April 2013 and was extended to properties worth over £500,000 from 1 April 2016.

Landlords who have transferred their residential property portfolios into companies need to be aware of the ATED. Where any of those properties was worth over £500,000 on the day the company completed the purchase, an ATED report is required and the tax may be due.

The first ATED charge is payable within 30 days of the completion date. For properties worth up to £1 million, the ATED is £3,500 for 2017-18, or a proportion relating to the part of the year for which the property was owned. The ATED charge for 2018-19 starts at £3,600 and is normally payable by 30 April 2018.

In most cases a relief can be claimed, notably where the property is let on a commercial basis to tenants who are not connected with the company. However, the relief must be claimed on the relief declaration return, which is also due within 30 days of the completion date or by 30 April within the tax year.

There are stiff penalties for late ATED returns, including relief declarations. One day’s delay earns a £100 penalty and six months can generate penalties of up to £1,300 per form. As relief from the ATED is claimed in advance, you must be careful to report to HMRC if the conditions for the relief are later broken. For example, the relief will no longer apply if the tenants become connected with the main shareholder or with the company. An amended ATED return must be submitted within 30 days of the start of the next year, so by 30 April 2018 for a condition broken in 2017-18.

We can help you submit the ATED forms, which, from 1 April 2018, must be submitted online.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

Please give us a call to discuss your requirements and arrange your free initial consultation, or complete our contact form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

023 9225 4404

87 London Road, Cowplain, Waterlooville, Hampshire, PO8 8XB
Monday - Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Stuart Hoare Chartered Accountants

87 London Road, Cowplain,
Waterlooville, Hampshire, PO8 8XB

Email Icon

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Stuart Hoare and the financial sector in general.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest